Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Scrapfest Videos and Review



I have been wanting to take a class from Tim Holtz since I started following him - maybe 2 years ago....but he had not come close enough to Des Moines, except for Scrapfest and last year I was recovering from surgery. So when it was announced he would again be teaching at the MOA, I was on it. I set my alarm for a half hour before registration, set my laptop next to my bed and tried to sleep - dreaming repeatedly of NOT being able to get into one of his classes. Luckily that was not the case and I was set for class at 10:00 AM on Friday Sept. 17.  WOOOOHOOOOOO.
     I headed up to Minnesota around 12:30 and checked into my hotel (See Post Why I Love the Microtel) around 4, then headed over to Scrapfest around 5:30. The registration line was fairly long but you could look at all the make and takes offered and the 7 Gypsies Tray Contest Entries while waiting - plus most of the other crafters were pretty chatty. After I got my Scrapfest badge I strolled through the bargain area, they had allot of 1.99 items -much of the same stuff they have in their stores - stamps, glitter, brad packages, small ink queues, stickers etc and lots and lots of Halloween  items. They also had quite a really nice few paper pads ranging from 4.99 to 24.99, some were some great My Minds Eye and Fancy Pants value packs.  I did not buy too much here, I find when I buy random dollar spot items I end up not using them. I am not a huge scrapbooker(though I should be!) and I tend to buy with a specific project or idea in mind so I do not buy much just because its a good deal and I did not come home with any of the pretty paper packs. Next I headed up to Archivers to shop, I will be honest - very disappointed that there were not any NEW stamps from Tim Holtz in stock. Absolutely nothing from summer CHA, I think considering that Tim is a headliner - they should be sure they have his stuff in stock! They also did not have any of the new Tattered Angels Glitz or Glam in stock. I even heard someone from TA expressing their disappointment in this. They did have ALOT of the new paper lines available which was awesome! While I had no trouble spending a good deal of muula - I would have spent significantly more had the new stamps or new TA been in stock. When checking out the Archivers clerk said it was a good thing to shop on Thursday because they were already getting low on alot of hot items and by Sunday the pickings may be slim. After Archivers I did a little shopping for my daughter picking her up a couple pairs of earrings, a necklace and a feather headband from For Love 21 - all for under $15! Then I was wiped so I went back to the hotel, drank a couple of beers and crashed.
    I arrived at the mall around 9 am Friday morning, went to get in line for a make -n-take for Tombow - then realized I left my badge in the van. When I cam back the shortest line was for Cosmo Cricket so I made a cute tag, Lindsey and Julie were working the line so that was fun - plus I had been featured in their facebook a couple of days earlier so we chatted about that for a minute. Then it was time for THE CLASS. AMAZING, WONDERFUL, TOO SHORT, LEFT ME WANTING MORE. We made an adorable little book, which I show in my video. From class we took home a couple of distress ink pads, an ink applicator, a mini glossy accents and a gold paint dabber - then when we left - WOW WOW we received  a package of elements grungeboard and a brand new not yet available package of Texture Fades - the snowman and the snowflakes no less....the one I was going to buy FIRST!  I had my picture taken and had him sign a couple of things and then off I went to the land of make and takes. First I got in the Tattered Angels line - super long but a great make and take and Heidi Swapp was working the line - cool beans. Then I did the make n takes for Unity Stamps, We r Memory Keepers and I thought someone else but I can't remember. Then I ate some lunch, walked around a bit but the lines were super long and I was tired so I went back to Archivers and shopped a bit more then headed home.
     I would say Scrapfest was exactly what I expected, no big surprises. I was pretty disappointed that they would not ensure they had the newest and most popular items in stock, and I heard this time and time again while waiting in line. Maybe next year they will do a better job or maybe postpone a week or two to make sure they get the product.I have an Archivers 5 minutes away and since there were not fantastic deals on the kinds of products I use, next year  my money would be better spent  taking some classes. I wiill also plan to spend two nights next year, the lines for the make-n-takes were long and there were a couple others I would have liked to do, plus I would have liked to have had some more time shopping at the mall and around Bloomington.
Please watch my videos showing all my goodies I bought, the project from Tim's class and  the make and takes.
Thanks!!!!

Scrapfest Haul Part 1



Scrapfest Haul Part 2



 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Karla for my packet of goodies from your blog candy! I love those old vintage Bingo goodies and the type charms from Tim, autographed by him and everything! Wow! That is the one thing of his I don't have yet, so perfect choice! I couldn't get near him while he was demoing Friday to get a pic but have on the past there and on the Alaskan cruise so I didn't push. We only got two make and takes done with all the waiting in line. Way too crowded and stressful for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...that sounds so fun!! I'd just about kill to get in a class with Tim...

    ReplyDelete